Friday, July 5, 2013

G+ or FB: A Shadetree Mechanic's Point Of View

There are probably hundreds of trillions of words of Expert Testimony comparing Google+ to Facebook. Social Media Gurus, Marketing Geniuses and Professional Writers are analyzing and comparing statistics & features with colorful charts and graphics.

But what is the Shadetree Mechanic Point Of View? What does Average Joe (or Average Gin) have to say?  

I have had a Facebook account for several years and I enjoy it, for the most part. Facebook has been a fun gadget for keeping up with the Hatfield's and McCoy's through family photos, long-distance relationships and yes, occasional drama. I've connected with long lost cousins and friends of friends, learning the most intimate details of their lunch menus and heartbreaks.

When I began to try to expand my business I looked to G+ as an additional venue. In the first couple of weeks I joined a handful of communities, read some informative posts and tossed out some links to my own shop and blog.

Then something started happening - I began to 'engage' on G+. I commenced to comment on posts I found helpful and link to articles I was reading on my own - and BAM! The door to a whole new world opened wide. Turns out Google+ is NOT the deserted ghost town I'd read about - it is a living, breathing community of living, breathing people!

I have discovered leagues of mentors who share their social media marketing knowledge freely, fellow Etsians with whom I can interact and share ideas, people who enjoy backyard farming, good coffee and home cooking...

And friends. I've met and made friends and established relationships with people on G+ who I would have never known without it. To the naysayers who claim that Google+ isn't really a "social" network: I beg to differ. Building bonds with like-minded people IS socializing!

In my opinion, Google+ is more than a crescent wrench, it's a full toolbox with a Happy Face sticker on the side.

Does this mean I'm packing up and leaving Facebook? No. I have friends and family there with whom I connect daily. Besides, I really want to know how to burn belly fat. I am, however, going to continue developing my Google+, not only as tool to assist my professional development, but as a way to enrich my personal life as well.

In other words I'm going to shut the hood, stick my grease rag in my back pocket, top off the tank and drive right on down the middle of the road for now.

What do you think? Is comparing Facebook to Google+ like comparing oranges to orangutans?

Will G+ overcome FB as the top social network out there?   

I'm looking forward to your comments!

INFOGRAPHIC

No comments:

Post a Comment